Extra-Curricular Activities at Heartlands Academy
The Drama department provides three different extra-curricular opportunities for learners in Key Stages 3 and 4. All staff members work co-constructively to shape and define the different projects.
Film Making Club
This club runs between September and December. The aim is for learners to write, produce, film and edit an original film that is based on an issue. We intend this year’s film to be based on British values and to be used in SMSC provision within the academy.
The whole school performance for this year is going to be 'Alice in Wonderland'. The performance will be based on a script written by Mr Lee but co-constructed with the cast. Auditions will begin in September and the performance will be the last week before February half term.
Heartlands Academy is a registered centre for LAMDA examinations.
Selected learners will have the opportunity to rehearse for and take examinations in:
- Speaking Verse and Prose
- Reading for Performance
- Speaking in Public
- Year 7 and 8 students work towards a Junior UK Maths Challenge competition.
- Year 9 and 10 students work towards a Senior UK Maths Challenge competition.
- All KS3 students participate in 'World Maths Day'.
- KS3 students visit the 'Big Bang Fair', where they get to experience practical workshops and demonstrations of cutting edge research and exciting job opportunities in mathematics and science.
- KS5 students attend Mathematics university lectures.
- Drop in sessions every day after school for students to develop their skills further.
- Arts Award.
Modern Foreign Languages
- Portuguese Club
- Cultural Cinema Club
- Manga Club
- KS3 Homework Clubs
Students have the opportunity to attend instrumental lessons provided by Birmingham Music Service. Current instrumental tuition includes drum kit, dhol, woodwind, steel pans and guitar. Students are encouraged to use the recording studio during lunch times and after school, whether it is recording a solo vocal piece, refining a track using Logic Pro software, or putting down tracks for a complex band recording. We also offer opportunities for students to participate in many ensembles free of charge; these include wind band, rock band, drum line and choir.